Have sore throat. Taking solvin cold, saltum, sultamicillin. Need second opinion

Hi i had soar throat which was hurting severly at night. It is difficult for me to gulp anything. There is dryness in the throat. As advised by you all%2C i went and showed myself to a physician. He has given the below medicines. I need second opinion%3A%0A%0A1. Solvin cold - Twice a day%0A2. Saltum 375 mg %28Sultamicillin%29 - Twice a day%0A%0APlease advise.%0A%0ARegards%2C%0 XXXX
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in to us.

I understand your sore throat which can make it very difficult to swallow food and drink liquids. Medically this is termed pharyngitis. Usually it starts as a viral infection and soon secondary bacterial infection starts.

I will explain your medicines below:
1. Solvin cold (tablet) contains paracetamol 500 mg, guaiphenesin 100 mg, ambroxol hydrochloride 30 mg, phenylephrine hydrochloride 10 mg, chlorpheniramine maleate 2 mg. This is a combination of anti inflammatory, anti histamine (anti allergic) and mucolytic.
This medicine taken twice daily will give you symptomatic relief. In some people it can cause drowsiness.

2. Saltum 375 mg contains Sultamicillin which is an antibiotic (ampicillin and sulbactam) and fights against disease causing bacteria. Please take complete course as advised by doctor.

Along with above medicines you may do salt water gargle twice a day and eat soft and warm foods. Avoid spicy food as it may cause throat irritation. If you feel sleepy after taking Solvin cold then please avoid driving.

Hope your query is answered.
Wish you quick recovery.

Dr A Rao Kavoor