Have sore throat. Not cured by using OTC drug. How to overcome this problem?

I'm reading here that alot of other folks are having the same symptoms. My throat is not sore but feels as though someone is choking me and it's really painful at times. Doesn't last long but is happening more frequently. I have tried OTC drugs for possible GERD with no relief. I'm an RN with a heart stent already but this feels different. Just wondering what to think here??
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
A soreness of the throat and the neck could be due to chronic pharyngitis or infection in the throat or side effect of the drug like escitalopram or an allergic reaction or acid reflux. Smoking can also cause such symptoms. Smoking damages the mucosa of the throat making it susceptible for repeated infections. In response to the repeated throat infection, there will be enlargement of the lingual tonsils, those lymphoid follicles present over the base of the tongue. The mere presence of the enlarged lingual tonsils can also give rise to pain and soreness in the throat.
You need to consult a good ENT specialist for a thorough examination of the oral cavity and the throat, to diagnose the cause of your problem. Till then, you need to consume plenty of warm water, avoid smoking, alcohol and coffee. Also, eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, this helps in regeneration of the mucosa of the oral cavity and reduction of the symptoms.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.