Have sore throat. Has white dots. Have yellow stuff in mouth. What can this be?

I have a very sore throat and don't feel at all well. My throat has white dots over a very red skin. By bed time I have a lot of stringy yellow stuff in my mouth that makes me feel like heaving as it dangles down my throat. I sip water during the night and by morning it's back to the white dots.
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 17 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

It seems like a fungal infection most probably candida. It may have started after taking some medicine or in the background of low immunity like high blood glucose, low blood count, HIV positivity, etc.

I will ask you a few questions to help with the diagnosis:

- When and how did it start?
- Have you taken some anti-fungals or other medicines (even herbals)?
- Do you have any other symptoms or medical conditions apart from the ones listed?
- What have you tried for it?
- When was the last time you got blood tests done? If you can upload the reports or send it to me on YYYY@YYYY and address it to my name Dr Vaishalee Punj, it will be very helpful.
- Is your thyroid well controlled?

In the meanwhile I will advise you the following to help boost your immunity and deal with the infection at its source:

- Take fruits and vegetables at least 5 times a day.

- Exercise at least 20 min a day

- Take hygienic diet and pure drinking water. It may be a possible source of infection. Water produced from the filtration technique of reverse osmosis is the purest. It may not go away completely but with this step it may get controlled.

- Use tongue cleaner and mouthwash rinses for oral hygiene. Saline gargles may help too

Waiting for your reply.

Dr Vaishalee

Follow-up: Have sore throat. Has white dots. Have yellow stuff in mouth. What can this be? 3 days later
It started 8 days ago. It started as a normal sore throat (no cold). It led to aching limbs, vice like headache, lack of appetite and a feeling of nausea. As an outpatient at the hospital the doctor said it was probably a virus and not a strep throat but if it got no better the next day he advised me to start to take the antibiotics he gave me. I felt so terribly poorly the next day, that even though I worried it may be candida (never had it before) I started the antibiotics to gain relief from the flu like symptoms.

My mother in law started with a sore throat at the same time and her symptoms have been exactly the same as mine but without the stuff in the mouth. She has a terrible sore throat but it is just a normal sore red colour. No growth of any sort.

After nearly 4 days on the antibiotics my other symptoms are nearly better, and the growth in the throat is now just the white dots, but I can feel stuff all over my teeth and around my gums.

This concerned me because having taken the antibiotics (I've started now I'll have to finish them) I know that the antibiotics will deplete my good bacteria that keeps candida in balance, and may well make it worse.

In view of this I decided to put myself on a yeast beating diet. I take a low fat organic biotic natural yoghurt for breakfast. In addition I am only eating meat/ fish and vegetables cutting out tea coffee and all fruit, bread, dairy (apart from bio- yoghurt in hope of starving the candida.

My understanding is that although fruit is so good for you the sugar will feed the that a mistake?

I have also booked myself an appointment with a Medical doctor who specialises in natural products and takes an holistic approach to health, but that isn't until August 16.

I take the omnaprazole for acid because I had an endoscopy about a year ago which showed I had gastritis and my stomach was so bad they recommended I take it forever!

I have been on Throxine for about 10 years as low levels were picked up after I had very heavy periods and after a hysteroscopy was shown to have hyperplasia, which has now been cured for the last 9 years.

The last Thyroid test showed I had a TSH level of 0.01 and my doctor was happy with this.

My delay in replying was due to your answer going into Spam and only just realised.

Please advise about anti-fungals or natural remedies as I know nothing about these things. I was advised by a friend to take Pau d'Adue, I think that's the name not at home for a few days, but when I looked it up it did look the right thing but there were considerable warnings with it, and also doubt over a lot of products authenticity so didn't think it advisable of me to just get it without seeing the Natural doctor in a 9 days

Many thanks for your reply and look forward to hearing back again soon.

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 19 hours later
Hi again

After reading I feel that you are very concerned about developing candidal infection in throat. Actually here I want to state that it is normal flora and will always be there. Normally the quantity of candida is small. It becomes higher after taking antibiotics, etc. Seriously consider all the recommendations I made in my previous reply especially about drinking pure water. In my experience that is the only "holistic" treatment that works best for keeping candida in check. You may limit sugar intake but totally eliminating it from diet is hard.

I have seen many people run around to many doctors to treat it. It just makes the candida more resistant and impairs your natural immunity. No matter what you try, it won't go away forever and it will recur after you stop treatment. Trust me on this. Just stick to pure water at all times for cooking and drinking purposes. Reverse osmosis technique produces the cleanest water. It is available in stores in western countries. That is how I manage most of my patients with candida and it works.

Let me know if you need further clarification

Dr Vaishalee