Have sore ribs, getting needle pricking feeling through chest and breast area. Is it due to anxiety?

I have sore ribs started Monday morning. I thought it would go away. It hurts below my bra line on both side about 8 inches. It's tender to gentle press on. Does not hurt to breath. I also have been feeling a needle pricking feeling through my ribs and chest and breast area. The doctor here said it sounds like its from anxiety.
Posted Thu, 6 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 25 minutes later

From your symptoms, it looks like costochondritis or inflammation of the joints in your chest. There is no specific test or investigation for costochondritis. The diagnosis can only be reached after excluding more serious causes of chest pain that are related to the heart and lungs.

It is completely curable and treatment involves conservative local care with careful use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen or naproxen. Application of warm compresses may also help. If there is no relief even with medications, then steroid injections may be needed.

You may need to consult an orthopedician and get the medicines prescribed.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.