Have sore, red lump on leg close to scrotum. What could it be?

my husband has a sore lump on his leg close to scrotum it is red and about the size of a thumb
Posted Thu, 6 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 31 minutes later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your question with diligence.
My feeling is this is related to artery manifulation during surgery and related to that:
Please let me know answers to as many answers you can:
1.It is on right side left side? Coronary angiography prior to surgery was done on the same side?
2. Was, after cardiac surgery, the artery on the same side used for pressure monitoring or connecting instrument like Intra aortic balloon pump (IABP), records if you have would indicate would mention about IABP and coronary angio report would mention same side femoral artery.
3. Is the lump pulsatile that is you can feel pulsations in the lump. Is the scrotum on the same side or both sides swollen?
4. Is there redness, warmth on the swelling? Is the swelling throbbing?
After hearing from you I will be most happy to answer about whether you need to do. Looking forward to hear from you. Good Luck.
RegardsWith Best Wishes:
Dr Anil Grover
MBBS, MD (Medicine) DM(Cardiology)
Cardiologist and Internist
http:/ WWW.WWWW.WW
Follow-up: Have sore, red lump on leg close to scrotum. What could it be? 9 hours later
It is on the left side and he had his heart surgery in 2002.It doesn't seem like itwould be from that.and no the scrotum is not swollen .But the lump is Red.It is sort of soft but has a hard feeling to it in the middle.Thank you very much
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
Thanks for writing back.
You are right, it is not related to artery and is on left side therefore it is not related to either angiography or heart surgery. As it is sore, therefore, it appears to be benign further diagnosis can be made by tissue diagnosis. A needle aspiration or removal seems next logical step for knowing the nature of tissue. That may not be necessary. I would urge you that you let your doctor a general physician have a look. The doctor will do a thorough clinical examination and get the necessary tests done and institute the treatment. In view of your answers to my questions, it is an issue of concern not of panic. A visit to doctor will resolve the problem. Good Luck.

With Best Wishes.

Dr Anil Grover