Ask a Dentist   »  

Have sore palate and noticed white spots on it. What is the cause and cure?

On the roof of my mouth between and behind my two front teeth has been sore--almost as if you bit down on a hard tortilla chip and it poked you. I haven't thought much of it, except my daughter told me her mouth is hurting. She is 3 years old. I looked in her mouth (and mine) and we both have a few white spots on the roof of our mouth--not many--but the one between & behind our front teeth is the same. There are no other rashes/spots or things in our mouths and no other symptoms. What is it?
Posted Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later

I do agree that a sore mouth is an uncomfortable condition which gives you a dry feeling. Although most of the times, it is harmless; it still should be taken note and care of.

The most common causes for this soreness are poking by chips as you mentioned, consumption of hot and spicy food; smoking or chewing tobacco; infection; low immunity; lack of B12 and folate; sometimes stress and very rarely due to cancer even

Normally such soreness goes in couple of week's time. You may take some following measures like
- Avoiding chips and hot and spicy foods
- Taking B complex vitamins
- Avoiding smoking or tobacco and alcohol if any
- Using soft toothbrush
- Using local gel like LIDEX.

Since both you and your daughter have the same problem, it seems that the condition has been brought upon by consumption of some hard or hot and spicy food. In case the symptoms aggravate, I would urge you to visit a nearby doctor to look for other signs of infection.

I hope it helps; however you may revert to me for any further query.

Best of luck
Follow-up: Have sore palate and noticed white spots on it. What is the cause and cure? 5 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX However, I read all of the above information online already. We are vegan, so I suspect it may be the B vitamin, so I made sure we took our supplement. However, none of the other things apply--we don't eat chips very often (maybe 4 months ago if that), no smoking or alcohol, we use soft toothbrushes. The only hard food we've both eaten are apples. I'll ask my husband about the safety of LIDEX (he is a pharmacist). It's not painful, I just find it odd that both my daughter and I have it. I'll keep an eye on it. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Yes,it may be a B vitamin deficiency. Take this vitamin in proper dose for at least 2 weeks to see the response. Hopefully it should be all right. However if it doesn't become all right as I mentioned above,you may have to consult your doctor.

Best wishes...