Ask a Dentist   »  

Have sore on the flap of tongue and epiglottis. Is this a serious problem?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Age : 35
Gender : Male
Medical History : None

I have sore on the flap of the tongue (at back). I found its called epiglottis. Is it a serious situation?
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 2 hours later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

In most common cases this is not seroious. Severe inflammation and edematous epiglotis can cause breathing difficulties. It is usually caused on the same way like respiratory infections such as pharyngitis or tonsillitis and causative agent can be virus or bacteria. Viral infections are less serious,there is low grade fever and usually passes in 5-7 days. If you have fever, painful swallowing, bad smell in mouth or enlarged neck lymph nodes this can be bacterial infection and it should be treated by antibiotics.SO your GP can look your tongue and throat and see is this bacteria.
And REMEMBER if you notice breathing difficulties, hoarseness, blood coughing or skin rash you should go to ER immidiately.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help"
Follow-up: Have sore on the flap of tongue and epiglottis. Is this a serious problem? 1 hour later
Its just mild irritation at the time of swollowing food or drink water. Otherwise, I dont feel any horseness of voice. there is no fever. I am littlebit worried as I think its a canker sore.

I am taking Vitamine B12 Tablets, using hexadine mouthwash and taking antibiotic 375mg twice a day.

Pl suggest what should I do to make sure it gets heal soon and does not re-appear?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
It can be also aphthous ulcer, but n every case it should heal in short time(7-10 days). take those antibiotics and mouthwash till it recover. There is no specific prevention, you must avoid smoking, alcohol and spicy food. Honey and propolis suplements can be helpful. If you dont have symptoms i ve mentioned then there is no reason to be concerned.