Have sore nostril. Using nasonex. Looks like leukoplakia. Could it be a sign of cancer?

ENT Specialist
Hi. I have had sore for four years in my left nostril. Somethimes heal and then came back. I have been to several doctors about it but they say the sore will heal. I have allergies and use spray for that in the summer and somethimes nasonex. The sore is now gone but the tissue under is white? It looks like leukoplakia? Im so scared its cancer. I have been constant picking at it but now i have stopped.
Posted Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 58 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. If you share a close-up or preferably, an endoscopic image, it will be possible to give you an accurate assessment.

2. The white tissue is more likely to be fibrosis from repeated ulcers rather than leukoplakia. The ideal way is to take a small biopsy from the edge of the ulcer and get a histopathological examination (HPE). This will settle the diagnosis. You may also get the specimen tested for HPV.

3. Since the ulcers heal, it is unlikely to be cancer which neither heals nor regresses.

4. Viral infections, nasal sprays, fungal and viral infections are known to cause nasal ulcers.

5. The exact tests can be decided after the biopsy report.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.