Have sore legs and red boils on calf. Feeling warm to touch. What should be done?

I have what I think is a boil on my calf. It's got a dark scab and it's red, firm and warm to the touch for about an inch in diameter around it. It's painful. I don't recall it having the usual white head other boils I've had showed. I haven't expressed any pus out of it, and i've been afraid to remove the scab. I don't have a fever, but my leg is sore. What should I do about it?
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 2 hours later
I have seen the photograph attached by you, and it looks like a severe form of boils called as furunculosis, as there is a central dark punctum like area around a hair follicle and redness around it. This is typical of furunculosis.
You need to take oral antibiotics as well as apply topical mupirocine cream in that area for faster relief.
Please don’t neglect it as it may progress to cellulitis, which is very severe.
Let me know if you have any other doubt.
Thank you.
Follow-up: Have sore legs and red boils on calf. Feeling warm to touch. What should be done? 4 hours later
Thanks, going to the clinic today to get a script.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 4 minutes later
You are most welcome.