Have sore in lower abdominal muscle and large bruise appeared. What can I do?

General Surgeon
I recently started pilates. I am 58 and in good shape. After 4 classes I was very sore in the lower abdominal muscles. The next mornig a large bruise appeared. What can I do?
Posted Tue, 13 Nov 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

The most probable reason of this bruise is a hernia due to abdominal wall stretching what has caused weakness of the tissues. Especially if this bruise is getting bigger when standing or coughing.
Another reason of such condition might be a hematoma due to veins rupture or some trauma. Such tumor would be more painful, and some bruise would be visible.

The easiest way to check it is abdominal wall ultrasound. It should be checked as both hernia and hematoma needs medical attention.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.