Have sore breast and missing period. What is the reason?

Mar 2013
I just got home from a three month study abroad overseas. The first month I was there my perio.d was normal. The second month it only last for a day and now I have not gotten my period. My breasts are sore and I have cramps but no period. Also, I have no had sex for three months so pregnancy is not possible. I am just concerned because I have not gotten my period yet and it has never been this late.
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 56 minutes later
There could be various reasons for a missed, irregular and scanty period.
Pregnancy and related complications are obviously one cause, however as you are absolutely sure this hasn't happened, we can keep that aside.
You haven't mentioned your age, at certain phases in the reproductive life of a female, such periodic irregularities are common and not worrisome.
Stress, anxiety, emotional upheavals, trauma, life and work stress issues, hectic travelling, recent and rapid fluctuations in weight - all could be incriminating factors.
Pathological causes include polycystic ovarian disease, endometrial hyperplasia, thyroid and adrenal hormone disorders, high serum prolactin levels etc.
Being on the birth control pill or ingesting other hormonal medications, also could be reasons.
I think you should consult a Gynecologist and rule out the worrisome causes of such irregular periods, undergo the appropriate tests as suggested above, and then consider treatment as indicated.

Please do not worry unduly as it would complicate your cycles further.
Take care, and feel free to ask further questions.