Have sore and swollen shoulder. Prescribed apo-ibuprofen and apo-naproxen. Safe medication?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My left shoulder is really sore right now from repetitive stuff I am doing at work. I do have a prescription for APO-IBUPROFEN 600mg but it doesn't seem to be working very long. I am cutting the pills in half because I am sensitive to strengths of medication. (usually take the children's dosage for over the counter medication) Is there anything else I can do to make this feel better? I also have a prescription for APO-NAPROXEN 500MG NAPROXEN that is for the swelling in this shoulder, but I don't know if it is safe to take both at the same time. Is it safe? Would it help to take both?

Thanks for your help XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
From the symptoms that you have described, it seems to be Rotator cuff tendonitis or shoulder impingement syndrome which causes irritation and inflammation of the rotator cuff and the bursa when doing overhead activity and hence pain.
Since ibuprofen is not helping you much, it is best to start with Naproxen which has a stronger analgesic effect as compared to ibuprofen. Do not combine both the tablets as this may cause excessive gastric acidity and nausea.
Here are some general treatment measures which you can follow:

1) Provide complete rest and avoid overhead activities.
2) Apply cold compresses and take some good anti inflammatory pain killer in combination with a muscle relaxant after consulting your doctor.

If the symptoms are severe then after confirming the diagnosis by MRI, you may need steroid injections or surgical arthroscopic technique (kept as last resort).

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.