Have sore and bruised lips, which are dark. Had crown done. What could be the reason?

Dec 2012

I saw my brother yesterday and noticed his lips were bruised...he said they are sore and have been dark for about a month. He had a crown done at the dentist and his lips split from his mouth being dry and stretched open. He said the bruising was there before he had the crown done. Any ideas why his lips would be dark and sore without any trauma to the mouth?
Posted Fri, 5 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

If I am not mistaken your brother might be suffering from chapped lips (since I am unable to see the lips by myself, I would not be able to say specifically what it may be) which has a good number of causes, such as:
- absence of moisture from the lips: cold dry weather often causes this
- infections: both local and due to another illness e.g cheilitis, herpes labialis etc
- drug-induced ulcer of the lips
Treatment includes adequate hydration is the first line of defense against chapped lips. Lip balm can provide temporary relief. It is often believed that petroleum jelly can heal chapped lips; however, it only aids in preventing moisture loss, but does not repair or penetrate the lips.
Then I suggest that you get your brother to a doctor for proper review and maybe provide some treatment.

Hope this was helpful
Dr. Nsah