Have some white substance in the inner corner of eyes. What are these?

Why are whites in the inner corner of my eyes.
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be jaundice indicating a liver abnormality

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

The white part of the eyes turn red due to a symptom called jaundice. Laymen usually mistake jaundice to be a condition, but in reality it is just a symptom depicting some abnormality with the liver. This could be an infection, inflammation, obstruction, or any other condition that is far from normal.

Based on the history provided by you ma'am, I understand you have been drinking quite heavily for almost 8 years now. This is not healthy and could easily be the cause for the symptom you have observed. If you do not mind, I would recommend an ultrasound examination of your abdomen with special emphasis to your liver, and also a blood test to check on your liver function. Please visit your doctor for the same. It could be possible that your liver has been infected or is reacting to the excess alcohol intake ma'am.

I hope this information answers your query. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications ma'am, I am always here to help.

Follow-up: Have some white substance in the inner corner of eyes. What are these? 16 hours later
Thankyou for your informative answer. Just one question, I have read that the liver function test is not an accurate indication on the health of the liver. The liver can still function at 25% and may still have liver disease. I have had my last liver function test 3 months ago and the results were normal. My gallbladder function also normal. Does this mean I have a healthy organ symptom or these tests are just not 100% guarantee of good health??!!
Thankyou so much .
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not 100 % accurate, but just enough to help

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again ma'am.

The liver function test (LFT) may not be a 100 % accurate, but it does help in indicating the presence of a pathology, which in most cases is quite sufficient for doctors to initiate treatment accordingly or request for more accurate and informative investigations.

As your investigations were conducted 3 months ago, which is a lot of time, and so it does not necessarily mean your organ system is healthy now ma'am.

As I mentioned ma'am, the tests might not be a 100 % accurate, but they will surely help in indicating some abnormality in the liver or gall bladder if present, which is why I also requested for you to back the LFT up with an abdominal ultrasound with special emphasis on the liver. So I would still advise the investigations ma'am.

You are most welcome, thank you for the kind words. I also hope you found my response helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further help, it would be my pleasure.

Best wishes.