Have some sort of acne on scalp. Looking red and have white heads filled with sebum. How to treat it?

Dec 2013

I have some sort of acne/pimple on my scalp/skin of my head.

Right now they all look quite red, but some of them can sometimes have white heads, filled with sebum, just like face acne..

What is the name of this condition and how can I treat it?

Thank you!
P.S. I have attached 4 photos of my scalp.
Posted Fri, 8 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The condition is known as Follicultis

Detailed Answer:
Welcom and thanks for posting your query to healthcare magic.

I can understand your concern for the skin condition you are suffering from.

After going through the query and thoroughly analyzing all the pictures sent by you, it appears to be "Folliculitis".

To tell you simply it is inflammation of the hair root of the particular area. It is characterized by red inflamed painful and itchy areas. These appears as pimples but different from pimple/acne in form of more redness, pain and pus accumulation in some of the bumps and a central crust or scab some lesions. These appears all of a sudden and can form recurrent crops of appearance one after another.

This is totally a benign condition which is seen quite often. So do not worry about the same. Many a times we see these sudden eruptions without any pinpoint cause which we correlate to environmental factors including hot humid weather or sudden change in weather too. Application of creamy or oily products or oily massage can also induce these eruptions.

For the treatment part you can apply any good antibiotic cream available In UK as over the counter medication. You can take pain killer tablet by mouth for reducing the intensity of pain and redness.

Rest of the preventive measure include following:

1. Do not pinch, pop or squeeze any area.

2. Do not apply any creamy or oily stuff or any other cosmetics over face.

3. Try to avoid any home remedies suggested by your friends or family members or otherwise self implicated therapies also.

4. Try avoiding situations of direct continuous exposure to sunlight or heat and humidity for long hours.

5. Kindly do not use any oral antibiotic as self medication.

6. Take two times bath and wash your scalp gently.

Hope these informations will help you. If you have any further query I will be happy to help.

With good health wishes,