Have some pain soreness on left side of abdomen. Had ovarian cyst. Could it be an another cyst?

Hi there. I've had some pain soreness on left side & reminds me of pain I've experienced years ago when I had an ovarian cyst. It was beginning to feel better but now my tail bone is sore and especially noticeable when sitting/standing. Could it be another cyst? Should I get it checked out?
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 20 minutes later

Thank you for writing to us.

Yes, this could be another cyst. Let me briefly explain the most common symptom of an ovarian cyst. It is of the description of pain:
-Sudden or gradual, dull or severe, and sharp pain or discomfort in the lower abdomen (one or both sides), pelvis (one or both sides), vagina, lower back (which includes the tail bone). This pain can also radiate to the lower legs, especially to the thigh region. The pain can be continuous or intermittent.

Yes ma'am, please do consult a doctor and get yourself checked. You must already know that the diagnosis is made either with the help of an ultrasound examination or a CT scan.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further clarifications or more information on the condition (eg. symptoms, treatment, etc.), I would love to be of assistance.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Have some pain soreness on left side of abdomen. Had ovarian cyst. Could it be an another cyst? 13 minutes later
Thank you for the info. I don't recall there being any treatment for the ovarian cyst in the past and as I'm currently uninsured, I'd rather not incur the expense of diagnostic testing. Are there any reasons to follow up?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 8 minutes later
Hi once again.

The normal treatment for an ovarian cyst is carried out with pain management medication, hormonal contraception (to regulate menstrual cycle), and warm compresses or warm baths.

The reasons for concern in case of a ovarian cysts are:
-Cysts lasting more than 2-3 menstrual cycles indicate a more serious problem (will require laparoscopy or ultrasound examination)
-History of ovarian cancer in family (will require biopsy)

In the meantime you could continue with any/all medication that was prescribed to you the last time (if any). If not, you could use a heating pad or hot water bottle applied to the lower abdomen or take a warm bath . This should relieve the pain to an extent and relieve cramping.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, and I would gladly help, or rate my answers after closing this discussion.

Best wishes.