Have some pain on left side which comes and goes. Could this be gas pain?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I have some pain on left side which comes and goes. It only lasts a few seconds. Coul this just be gas pains?
Posted Thu, 10 Oct 2013 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it could be due to gas.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
There a number of causes of left-sided pain that comes and goes. Gas in your stomach could be the cause. This is a very common problem and simple measures may help to reduce the discomfort. Avoid fizzy drinks, sit down and eat regular meals, cut out foods that are known to produce gas such as beans, broccoli, cabbage and onions. Take regular exercise.
Another cause of your pain could be a muscle strain. If this is the cause then it will gradually improve with no treatment.
I hope this has helped you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,
Follow-up: Have some pain on left side which comes and goes. Could this be gas pain? 12 minutes later
So I should not be overly concerned at this pointz.
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is correct.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the further question.
You do not need to be concerned. This is highly unlikely to be anything serious. It is worth trying the simple measures I outlined in the first instance. If the pain recurs more frequently than at present or it gets stronger then this would be a sign to consult your doctor.
I hope this reassures you.
Dr K A Pottinger