Ask a Dentist   »  

Have some lesions and minor bums and sore in tongue. Also have HSV1 positive in blood test. Is it cold sore?

I have some lesions and minor bums and sore in my tongue. I also have HSV1 positive in my blood test. I like to know this is cold sore or some other type of issue. Please find the attached picture.
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 42 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX forum,
Thanks for writing to us,

I appreciate you for providing us with your pictures here,
I would like you to know that the pink dots on your tongue are absolutely normal and indicate no abnormality.

These are due to burns from eating hot or spicy food, or we can relate them to nutritional deficiency also.
I could not find any cold sore on the tongue except on the extreme back of your tongue, an enlarged pink spot which is most probably from burns.
Is it painful?
Have you noticed any changes in the size or color?
kindly get back with the answers to these questions, so that I can guide you better.

Also, presence of HSV1 does not always state presence of cold sores, the lesions appear during phases of stress, chronic illness, malnutrition,etc.
You need not worry because none of the pictures state oral lesions from HSV-1.

But if you have any symptoms like pain or burning sensation then kindly see your dentist.
I hope this answer was useful,
I wish you good health,
take care.
Follow-up: Have some lesions and minor bums and sore in tongue. Also have HSV1 positive in blood test. Is it cold sore? 1 hour later
hello doctor, thanks for your answers. I have eaten spicy food in past , but recently i'm eating medium spicy food in general.

Regarding sores in back of my tongue, I just noticed it a week ago, I don't have any pain so far, but just worried by looking at it. Does drinking hot water, drinks, food cause any problem? what type of bum the one might be in back of my tongue?

Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 9 hours later

Thanks for writing back to us.

Drinking Hot water, eating spicy food or even nutritional deficiencies cause changes on the tongue. Tongue becomes red, sore and swollen. But in your case I see none.

I do not feel it is much of a concern as you do not experience any sort of pain or burning.
Kindly eat a healthy diet and keep an eye on the pink bumps for any changes in size or color.
Otherwise these bumps will disappear in 10-15 days.

But if the bumps increase in number, size or show changes in color, then kindly see your dentist.

Until then eat healthy, stay healthy.
I wish you good health,