Have soft, rubbery, painless lymph node near ear. Should I be worried about cancer?

Question
I have a lymph node near my ear that is about less than 1cm, soft, rubbery, painless and has not grown in size. May have shrinked but at least it has stayed the same. It has been present for two months. Does this present itself as a concern for cancer?
Posted Sun, 25 Nov 2012 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX
No it does not indicate any cancer. Hematological malignancies like lymphoma cause lymph nodes enlargement but the lymph node grow more bulky and multiple.
It seems you had some local infection in mouth, lips or ear recently that has lead to reactionary increased size of the draining lymph node.
There can be possibility of tuberculosis.
If the problem persists further for two months then it should be investigated by FNAC/excisional biopsy.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have any follow up queries or doubts, you can forward them for me, and I shall be glad to help you.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Have soft, rubbery, painless lymph node near ear. Should I be worried about cancer? 5 minutes later
do reactionary lymph nodes ever go away? are there any home remedies i can do to help bring it down.

Otherwise, I will see my pcp and ask for a FNAC

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 30 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic Physician's Desk!
Yes, they subside in about 3-4 weeks, once the primary condition subsides.
They always subside as a rule taking variable time according to primary condition.
You should improve the oral health, brush twice a day and do chlorhexidine mouth gargles thrice a day, Do warm saline gargles after you take anything orally.
Wish you a great health!

Follow-up: Have soft, rubbery, painless lymph node near ear. Should I be worried about cancer? 13 days later
Hello. Can a CT Scan show reactive lymph nodes? Also, my doctor thinks I have a reactive lymph node but thinks it could be a muscle knot on the massetter muscle. He does not suspect a gland issue. The "mass" is less that 1cm no pain or swelling surronding the area but he cannot confirm it. He sent me up with a CT scan, blood work, and appt. to an ENT. Any thoughts on muscle knots and reactive lymph nodes on or near the massetter (jaw) area? No other symptoms.

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
The CT scan would not be able to tell the node's reactionary nature. It will only indicate that it is enlarged in size or not and can tell about it's appearance like it's contour.
You should get examined by an ENT surgeon.
An excisional biopsy/FNAC would provide a more appropriate answer.
Wish you a great health!

Follow-up: Have soft, rubbery, painless lymph node near ear. Should I be worried about cancer? 7 days later
I have to get a CT scan for my head and neck tomorrow. How long does the procedure take? What does the injection do? does the person taking the scan know on the spot what is wrong?

what is considered a "normal" size/range for lymph nodes in the neck/parotid area?

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 37 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
The Ct Scan you are to undergo is called CECT that is Contrast enhanced CT scan of brain.
It usually takes 10 minutes in & out session, actual giving contrast is 3-4 minutes.
Injection deepens the areas of inflammation, metastases etc.
Scans are taken by CT technicians, they can know but a radiologist if around would surely know.
The normal size in neck region is 1.0 cm on maximum length.
Wish you a great health!

Follow-up: Have soft, rubbery, painless lymph node near ear. Should I be worried about cancer? 2 days later
Greetings Doctor,

I would like to follow up with you on my condition. I had a CT scan with contrast done last week and CBC. My bloodwork is normal but the CT scan showed some calfication in the stlyo ligament. No masses present but some promenence in the left side parotid region. I will see an ENT at the end of this month. I have suffered from TMJ disorder for the past 10 years no pain just occassional clicking. I still have no pain in the jaw or anywhere on the face or neck. Any advice on the calcification of the stylo ligament? Once again no pain is present.

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 5 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
It is a matter of great satisfaction that the CT Scan is within normal limits in regards to brain. The Styloid ligament is a bony spicule that gives attachment to many muscles and ligaments in this region. It is a normal variation to have irregular calcification in this because it has a variable length.
For practical purposes there is nothing important in the findings except for the swelling in parotid.
Have an FNAC of the parotid gland by an ENT and bring the imbroglio to an end.
I hope you would find my opinion useful.
Wish you a great health!