Have snoring problem. Found enlarged uvula. No pain or discomfort. Should I be concerned?

Dec 2014

enlarged uvulaabout a week ago I woke up after a night of
hard snoring as my wife stated, with what I would assume is a swollen uvula, It feels like I can feel it on the back of my tongue, no dis comfort, no problem swallowing or breathing, just feels weird and annoying! should I be concerned? thank you
Posted Thu, 9 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 28 minutes later
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Snoring in night should not be ignored completely. You have mentioned that you woke up in night after snoring. It may be a feature of early form of Obstructive Sleep Apnea. In OSA individual wakes up in night after snoring. In long term it may lead to disturbed sleep, day time sleepiness, poor concentration and some times cardiac complications also. If such symptoms occur again then I would advise you to please visit a good Sleep Specialist for expert opinion.

Polysomnography is a test which includes EEG, EMG (electromyography), ECG (electrocardiography) and oxygen saturation measure. It can easily identify any sleep apnea in you. If it comes normal then there is no need to worry.

I would like to know a little about physical details of you like height, weight, normal blood pressure, work timings etc in follow up question.

Hope I cleared your doubt, If you have more questions you can ask again in follow up.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD
(Consultant Psychiatrist)