Have sneezing and mild throat pain. Was taking coldact tablet. Is the dosage high?

Excellent

Question
What tablet I can take for cold ? I have sneezing and mild throat pain.

I use to take coldact tablet previously, but heard that its dosage is high. Please suggest.
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Coldact tablet has chlorpheniramine in the dose of 8 mg and phenylpropanolamine in the dose of 50 mg. The dose of Chlorpheniramine can be 4 mg or 8 mg.

For sneezing and mild throat pain, but no fever - Tb cetirizine 5 mg or 10 mg once a day is good enough. It causes minimal dorwsiness and works weel to control these symptoms. If you have fever too, then you can take tb Sinarest.

These medicines should be taken only if you have symptoms.

Let me know if I can assist you further

Dr Vaishalee

Follow-up: Have sneezing and mild throat pain. Was taking coldact tablet. Is the dosage high? 9 minutes later
Thanks for the details. I will try cetirizine.
I have a question, so in what condition I can take coldact ? or it is not advised at all ?

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It belongs to the same group of medicines

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

Chlorpheniramine is an anti-allergic (anti histaminic) It belongs to the same group as Cetirizine. The one difference is that chlorpheniramine can cause more drowsiness than cetirizine.

Coldact can be taken. If you feel that the dose of chlorpheniramine is high than you can take it at half the dose.

Dr Vaishalee