Have smoked marijuana, noticed slight numbness and tightness in chin, jaw and neck. Had reflux, throat pain. Suggest?

I am 56 years old fit, but have smoked marijuana throughout the last 25 years. I have noticed a slight numbness and tightness in my chin jaw and neck for the last couple of months. Recently went out for dinner and had three beers and smoked a joint where right after had a fairly severe numbness of the chin and jaw area + the runs for the last several days. A bland diet has taken care of most of this. I have had some reflux and throat pain and tightness.
Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2013 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to anxiety or neurological complication

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Marijuana or cannabis abuse is very common form of drug abuse. I have read your query and I would tell you that marijuana smoke for prolonged periods of time can cause various complications. You have used marijuana for about 25 years.

It is a psychoactive drug and its use for prolonged periods of time may cause abnormality in various brain areas which consist of cannabis receptors. The prolonged stimulation of these areas cause defect in functioning which may manifest is various neurological symptoms. Numbness, tightness may be due to this chronic effect of cannabis.

Second possibility is intense anxiety due to cannabis. Due to simultaneous intake of marijuana and alcohol increase in anxiety symptoms may occur which can manifest as numbness, tightness in chin, throat pain.

I would advise you to stop using cannabis. Its not very difficult to quit this drug as there is no physical dependence with marijuana. For quick relief you can use OTC antacids like Ranitidine tablets. Start taking supplements for neurological problems. For relief of anxiety you can take low dose benzodiazepines.

Hope I cleared your doubt, if you have more questions you can ask again.

Follow-up: Have smoked marijuana, noticed slight numbness and tightness in chin, jaw and neck. Had reflux, throat pain. Suggest? 12 minutes later
With all due respect this is a reply from a non medical perspective, very narrow in scope putting all of the onus on anxiety. I am not satisfied and request a reply from a from a medical doctor.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again

I am really sorry as you are not satisfied with my answer so I would go in a little details.
As I have mentioned is my last answer also that numbness, pain in throat may occur due to prolonged marijuana use because of brain damage to cannabis receptors cause by marijuana. Prolonged stimulation can cause neuritis which may manifest in form of numbness and tingling sensation. Prolonged smoking also causes swollen lymphnodes in submental area which can compress nerves and may be a reason of numbness.

Due to years of smoke symptoms. You developed the symptoms while taking alcohol and marijuana because both of these are psychoactive drugs and these accentuated the
anxiety and ultimately numbness.

I have mentioned earlier also use of Vitamin B12 supplements will help you. For quick relief use of Benzodiazepines like clonazepam will help you. Other drugs like Pregabalin and methylcobalamine combination is very effective in controlling the symptoms of neuritis.

I hope I cleared your doubt, still if you have more questions you can ask again in follow up. Please provide detailed description of your symptoms in terms of onset and duration along with present symptoms. I will be happy to answer you again.