Have smoked marijuana. Scheduled for septoplasty and endoscopic sinus surgery. Will this have any effect on general anesthesia?

ENT Specialist
so i am getting a septoplasty and endoscopic sinus surgery tomorrow. I smoked marijuana 1 day ago, but probably still have a significant amount THC in my system. I have not mentioned this to my doctor. They only asked if i smoked cigarettes and i told them no. Will this have any effect on general anesthesia? or any other complications?
Posted Sat, 11 Aug 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

Smoking Marijuana for a day will not be having many adverse effects during general anesthesia, but if you have done so on a regular basis in the recent past, then you should inform your doctor.

A major concern in the anesthetic management of the substance abusing patient is the appearance of cardiac arrhythmia (change in the rhythm of heart beat). The mechanism for the induction of these arrhythmias is considered secondary to coronary artery vasospasm resulting in myocardial ischemia (reduced blood supply to muscles of the heart).

Apart from the above problem, the drugs used for induction of anesthesia can have adverse effects on the other major systems in the body such as liver, kidneys and lungs. Finally, during the recovery period, the dosage of analgesics has to be increased as the threshold of pain would have reduced because of substance abuse.

Hence, keeping all these possibilities in the mind, I would suggest you to inform your doctor about the substance abuse.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up query.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon