Have small vessel ischemic disease. Feeling dizzy and unbalance coordination. Is it stroke?

Once you are diagnosed with Small Vessell Ischemic Disease in Brain and symptoms of dizziness/ balance and cooridation are almost completely gone could the disease be cured and gone or will I continue to have episodes of these symptoms. I received 9 weeks of physical therapy and am on medicine for Diabetis ,high blood pressure and high cholesterol. If I continue meds as prescribed can this completely stop this disease. If not, what steps should i do to heal myself. I had a stroke previously 12 years ago and did well. Could this latest episode of dizziness, balance problems been another small stroke? thank you
Posted Mon, 6 Aug 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 4 hours later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in Cardiology.
To a large extent the disease can be halted. Some other vessels which are smaller open up to restore blood supply provided the disease(s) contributing to it are well controlled. You have identified Diabetes. Physiotherapy is important it stimulate the demand in the affected area which then releases molecules (identified but not yet able to be used as drugs) which stimulate blood supply restoration. Stem cell therapy is another exciting thing not yet suitable for clinical use but promise for future.
Some other things which have been found useful:
Dietary supplements that may be helpful for people with small vessel disease include:
1.Coenzyme Q10. This coenzyme, which is naturally present in your body, can
improve blood pressure and circulation when taken as a supplement. Coenzyme
Q10, taken in daily doses up to 200 milligrams, may improve small vessel blood
flow in people with diabetes and coronary artery disease, and could have a
similar effect in people with small vessel disease of brain.
2. L-arginine. This amino acid that's normally used by the body to help metabolize
protein may help treat symptoms of small vessel disease by relaxing your blood

As with any other alternative therapy, talk to your doctor before adding any supplements to your treatment to ensure that they won't interfere with any medications you're already taking. Good Luck.

With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW