Have small vaginal opening, problem in penetration during sex. How to resolve this?

Question
MY GIRLFRIEND HAS A VERY SMALL OPEN TO HER VAGINA ; TO THE POINT THAT IT IS IMPOSIBLE
TO HAVE PENETRATION DURING SEX....WHAT CAN WE DO TO RESOLVE THIS ? ON MY PART I AM AVERAGE SIZE SEXUALLY , SO ITS NOT ME.
Posted Sat, 26 Oct 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would be happy to help!

Detailed Answer:
I will assume that she is "post-menopausal" and around your age. If this is the case, the cause of this problem is related to her lack of estrogen that occurs after the age of menopause. When this is present, there is atrophy / thinning of the vagina with narrowing of the opening. This should be addressed by her OB/GYN and can be treated with:

1. Vaginal estrogen
2. Vaginal dilators

I hope that this helps!