Have small ureteric calculus causing mild hydronephrotic changes with dilated ureter. Solution?

Dear Doctor,
I am said to have small ureteric calculus at the level of transverse process of L4 level on the left causing mild hydronephrotic changes with dilated ureter upto the calculus and delayed excretion of contrast on this side.
I would like to understand what it means and what is/ are the solutions?
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Aditya Bhabhe 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See detailed answer

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thank you for sending in the query.

Interpretation of your report: The ureter is a pipe like organ which connects the kidneys and the bladder. It functions to drain the urine into the bladder.

As per the report, there is a stone in your ureter. It is located in the upper to middle portion of the ureter (this is judged by the fact that it is at the level of L4 vertebra).

The stone is blocking the passage of urine. This has caused the left kidney to swell up slightly due to the accumulation of urine. This is described medically as mild hydronephrosis. This is also responsible for the delayed excretion of contrast.

Treatment of the stone:
There are 2 options:
1) If the stone is less than 5 mm in size and there is no evidence of infection then we can wait for the stone to pass naturally. You can help this process by drinking lots of water. If there is pain then you can take analgesics under the supervision of a doctor.

2) If the stone is bigger or if there is evidence of infection or if the stone is not moving down in next 1-2 weeks, then you will need to see a urosurgeon. He/she will clinically evaluate you and decide if the stone needs to be removed by a process called ureteroscopy.

Feel free to contact me if you have more questions.

Dr. Aditya Bhabhe