Have small sliding hiatal hernia without reflux. Feeling dizzy for few minutes when sitting. Related?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
I have a small sliding hiatial hernia without reflux. when i sit I have some minor right side disconfort. When I laydown or stand and walk, there is no problem. Ones a while I have short dizzy speles for a second to a few minutes usually when I sit, is that related? I am 77 years old and still active and work fulltime.
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 19 minutes later

Thanks for writing your query.

It is a good thing that you are active at this age as physical activity keeps the body fit.

Right sided discomfort can be due to increased gas production. Also the dizziness you have could be due to the same.You can take antacid like Omeprazole 20 mg once a day early in the morning before breakfast.

Also avoid spicy/oily foods and do not miss a meal.
Since your gall bladder (which help in fat digestion) has been removed, you should avoid oily and fatty foods.

Dizzy spells do not seem to be related with your abdominal discomfort.
It needs a proper medical attention.
You should get following investigations done:-
1. Blood sugar (Fasting/PP).
2. Lipid Profile
3. Thyroid profile
4. ECG
Also get your blood pressure and pulse monitored for at least 3 consecutive days.

The above tests help to rule out other possibilities which can cause dizziness you have. Especially cardiac illness, blood pressure disturbances etc.

If the problem persists, get yourself examined clinically.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.