Have small red bumps on chest and stomach. No relief from calomine lotion. Underlying cause?

I have small red bumps on my chest, and top of stomach.they are extremely itchy and they seem to be increasing the more i scratch. They look like bites but my husband does not have any. I have been applying calomine lotion, but there is no relief of the itching. I have had this for the last few month but has never been this bad. The bumps started off faint but are now more prominent and slightly raised.
Thank you
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 5 hours later
Itchy red bumps could be due to insect bite, eczema, milliaria, scabies, lichen planus etc. The description provided is not sufficient enough to reach out to a probable cause.
Kindly send images of the concerned area, so that I can assist you in a better way.
Hoping to hear from you soon.
Follow-up: Have small red bumps on chest and stomach. No relief from calomine lotion. Underlying cause? 18 hours later
Dear doctor,

I have uploaded a few photos, I am sorry they are not to clear, but hopefully they will help.

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 30 hours later
I apologise for the delayed response.
I have seen the attached pics. From what I could see, I could think of two possibilities

Scabies is a mite infestation characterised by small red bumps over wrist, web spaces, abdomen, chest, upper back, forearms, axilla, inner thighs and groin area. Itching is more in night.

I would advise that as an empirical treatment, you might apply 5 percent permethrin cream to be applied below neck all over the body for one night only and to be cleaned by taking bath in morning.
Do not share towels and clothes. Wash your clothes bed linen in warm water.

Take tablet cetirizine too for few days. After permethrin application, from next day onwards apply mild steroid cream over the lesions. Permethrin cream will clear off scabies and steroid cream will relieve itching and will also take care of the lesions if eczematous.

If the lesions do not show response in five to seven days, consult a dermatologist nearby.
Hope that helps