Have small red bump at the tip of outer labia and it hurts. Could it be herpes?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
I have a small red bump at the tip of my outer labia it hurts. should i be alarmed.
I freak out and think its worse than it is. ive had the same partner for four years. could it be herpes.?
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 42 minutes later

The common causes of bumps on labia majora are:

-Folliculitis: due to blocked hair follicles.

-Clogged sweat glands, if they get infected they will cause hydradenitis suppurativa.

-Herpes: but this lesions usually progress as 'sore spot - blister - ulcer'.

-Genital warts: by Human papilloma virus, will have cauliflower appearance and hard to touch.

Scratching or squeezing the bump is not good as it can further get infected.
These conditions sometimes can occur by skin to skin contact also.

So you better consult gynecologist once and get examined to know the exact type of lesion and take treatment accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Have small red bump at the tip of outer labia and it hurts. Could it be herpes? 13 minutes later
If i had herpes i would have already known that right? Ive had the same partner four years.
Its actually the labis minora. the part that hangs out by the vagina.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 53 minutes later

As labia minora doesn't contain sweat glands first two possibilities can be excluded.
Herpes can also spread by contact without having intercourse.
In early stages it may present as red bump and later can turn into blister and ulcer as I told previously.
And the symptoms vary from person to person. Some people may not aware of their infection and some may present with flu like symptoms, fever, body pains, vaginal discharge etc.
So you just get examined once to find out the actual cause then treatment can be taken accordingly.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.