Have small red blotchy patch on penis head. Is it a fungal infection or bacterial infection?

I have a small red blotchy patch on the head of my penis and am trying to figure out if it is a fungal infection or bacterial infection. I have no pain or itchiness to go with this. How do I tell the difference between what might be a fungal infection or a bacterial infection? I first noticed the redness after prolonged masterbation, however, I have abstained from an sexual activity for 2 weeks, and have tried briefy using topical 1% cortizone and Lamisil (antifungal) cream without success. Although, I never stuck with any one topical cream, but instead, alternated using each on different days.
I have avoided all known irritants. I used XXXXXXX and XXXXXXX baby oil during masturbation several weeks ago. That was new and is the ONLY thing I can think of that is different. I have since stopped using that for several week now.
Another thing that could have caused this, and perhaps a fungal infection, is that I often do intense cardio workouts at nighttime and get very sweaty. A few times I have not showered afterwards and have just gone to sleep. I don't wear the sweaty clothes to sleep, but several times I have not changed out of the sweaty clothes for several hours after working out.
That being said, I am trying to decide if I should stick with a topical antifungal cream or perhaps a 1% cortizone cream. I do not believe this to be any type of STD as I have not had any type of unprotected sexual contact. Another thing that is confusing to me is that I do not have any itching or pain at all. There is also no discharge of any kind.
Posted Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 5 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.

I went through your detailed history. I could done a better job if had a chance to see a photograph of the area.
Still, based on the description, I will try to do my best to reach a point of conclusion.
The possible causes apart from allergy to the baby oil are.
1.     Bacterial infection.
2.     Fungal infection.
3.     Other erythematous lesions of the penis like PAGET’S disease or Bowen’s disease.
Having used enough anti-fungal creams, the chance of fungal infection to be resistant is unlikely.
So, the chance of it being bacterial infection or skin problems affecting the glans is likely, the latter more so because there is no pain.
The best thing to do now is to stop using the cortisone cream.
The next thing would be to consult a dermatologist.
Get well soon.