Have small raised red bump on arm, no itch and pain. Anything serious?

Dec 2013

Hi I,m a male 50 years old .. I have a small raised red bump on my inner arm since one week, no itch & no pain worried it would something serious I can send a picture thank you.
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Picture is suggestive of sebaceous cyst

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX

After thoroughly analyzing the picture, it is suggestive of Sebaceous cyst.
There are certain points in favor of sebaceous cyst- the most important one is its physical appearance in the picture, no symptoms of any pain or itching or redness, the site (inner side of arm), age group for the same: though it can occur in anybody after adulthood but more common in elderly age group.

So the most close possibility is of sebaceous cyst.

There is no need of any type of treatment of the same. There is no cream or ointment which can resolve it. The best treatment is by simple excision or by cauterization by machine.

DO not try to pinch, pop or squeeze the area. As these cysts if pinched,popped or squeezed have the tendency to get secondarily infected.

I suggest you to do nothing in this cyst as these are totally benign in nature. At the maximum these grows in size to the tip of finger and that too in many years. So leave it alone and if you feel any change in size or pain then can be very easily excised or cauterized.

I hope these informations help you. Tell me if you have any further queries.

With regards,
Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology)