Have small pinprick cherry red marks on skin. Are these harmless?

Hi, I have small pinprick cherry red marks on my skin, are these harmless? What are they? I have around 10 in total. They are smaller than 1mm. I'm not sure what they are and just want to put my mind at rest. Doctor says they are normal marks. They are not under the skin as I can just aabout feel them as I run my hands over them. Most of them are on my chest and arms.
Posted Thu, 11 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 14 minutes later

Based on the your description which states that the lesions can be felt on touch and their site of involvement , I suspect them to be minute skin Hemangioma called Cherry Hemangioma. A cherry hemangioma is a small non-cancerous, red-purple bump on the skin. It is formed from an overgrowth of small veins.

These lesions are not serious as they do not cause any complications and do not affect the surrounding skin.

They can me removed if they are cosmetically unacceptable.The lesions can be removed by electro or chemical cautery.A dermatologist can perform such procedures.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Have small pinprick cherry red marks on skin. Are these harmless? 9 minutes later
Thanks for your reply. I uploaded a pic of one of them. Did u receive this?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 minutes later

Yes, I had a look at the image named IMG-0000-0000.jpg

The image shows a lesion with typical hemangioma appearance.Hence I arrived at the probable diagnosis which needs to be confirmed by a dermatologist by hand on examination.

Wish you good health.