Ask a Urologist   »  

Have small pink coloured circle on penis. No itching or burning. What could be this?

Dec 2012

I have a small circle 1/2 the size of my pinky fingernail that appeared on the outer skin of my penis about 3/4 of the way back from the head. There is no itchin or burning and is completely smooth and slightly pink/red. Every couple days the skin appears to start to heal but then dries up and flakes off. Should I be worried?
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 4 hours later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

From your description it seems to me that you are having a form of fungi infection (which seems obviously to be mild) and even though it seems mild you will require that to be treated off as I believe that you are sexually active and will have to prevent that from being a route of entry of various microbes. All you might require is a topical antifungal like miconazole or a topical steroid cream to heal that off.
It would have been nice if i saw some pictures of the lesion ( as to be sure of the cause) or you get examined by a dermatologist.

Hope this info will be useful and if you got any other questions, please feel free to write back.

Dr. Nsah
Follow-up: Have small pink coloured circle on penis. No itching or burning. What could be this? 22 hours later
What would be some common brand names for the topical ointments I should try. Also here are some photos to further examine. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 52 minutes later

You have the generic name miconazole or ketokonazole cream (antifungal) or brand name monistat3 or Hydrocortisone cream/pommade (steroid).
After taking a look at the images, the lesions look like fungi lesions. Just proceed with the above creams and within a couple of days, you will have some relieve.

Hope this helps
Dr. Nsah