Have small pimple on the inside of lip. Should I be worried about STD?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I had a small pimple on the inside of my bottom lip today (inside mouth). I popped it and it seems like its healing. I still feel a small bump where it was. I am worried that I have an STD tho. Do you think I need to get tested? Can you help>?
Posted Sat, 12 Jan 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Please do not worry. As of now the oral mucosal lesion you have does seem to be healing and not very likely to be a STD unless there is a definite history of exposure to a STD infected partner.Also the fact that you have no associated symptoms like sore throat , pain , blisters , oral mucosal bleeding , lymph nodes or headache and fever etc further reduces the likelihood of this being a STD.
However some STDs like chlamydia , syphilis and gonorrhoea can present very late or have minimal oral signs so if you believe you have been exposed to an STD , then you should be tested in order to confirm diagnosis and to receive appropriate treatment. Home remedies should not be used in the treatment of STD symptoms, as they may have no effect on symptoms and delay healing.
Now assuming you have no high risk exposure to an STD infected partner , you can wait and watch for a week to ten days for the bump to resolve completely.
If it persists beyond that then its definitely recommended that you get yourself evaluated by your doctor to rule out a STD.
Meanwhile you should avoid handling it , scratching or popping it for faster healing.
Also try to avoid hot and spicy food to minimise discomfort & do take a nutritious diet or a bcomplex multivitamin supplement for faster relief .
In case you develop any new lesions or associated symptoms (as mentioned above) then do seek prompt medical help.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.