Ask a Urologist   »  

Have small penis and noticed semen in urine. Should I be worried?

Psychiatrist
Question
i am worried about the fact that my penis is small but also that there seems to be traces of seaman in my urine when i go to the toilet. i did masturbate as a youngster but i don't know what if anything is actually wrong. all the literature i have studied suggests there's no issue but i have concerns regarding low self-esteem/confidence it affects my family/work life and leads to issues with regards to lack of sleep as well......
Posted Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 3 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Firstly, regarding the size of the penis, you must understand that the size of the penis is not at all a major factor in sexual functioning or performance. As long as you are able to have normal erections, participate in sexual intercourse and have an orgasm or ejaculation, there should not be any cause of concern or worry.

There could be a few possibilities for a whitish discolouration of urine, which is often presumed to be due to semen.
- Since both semen and urine are passed through the same passage, ther can be slight traces of semen in urine, when passing urine soon after ejaculation. This is normal and nothing to worry about.
- Another possibility could be due to a urinary infection
- Rarely, there is a condition called 'retrograde ejaculation' where insted of semen being ejaculated outside, it can get ejaculated backwards into the urinary bladder and mix with urine. In this case, the predominant symptom which a person will have is a 'dry orgasm' or absent ejaculation.

Masturbation is considered as a part of normal human sexual behaviour and is very common among young males in their teenage. It does not have any bad effects on health and does not lead to any medical problems. Some people have many wrong ideas about masturbation - that it causes ill effects on health like nervous weakness, reduced energy, etc or sexual problems like impotence in the future. All this is not true and these are just myths and misconceptions.

Based on my clinical experience, I can assure you that in most people who come with problems and worries like yours, there is actually no medical problem, but the root causes are:
1) Lack of self-confidence and self-esteem
2) Negative thoughts and attitude
3) Excessive, unecessary anxiety and misunderstandings regarding sexual functioning, which result in feelings of sexual inadequacy

My opinion is that it is these issues which are causing you to feel low, distressed and dysfunctional. If you stop your unecessary anxiety, change your negative attitude and improve your self-confidence, all your problems will disappear and you will do well in life.

I would advise you consult a psychiatrist for professional help. There are lot of effective counselling techniques to help you with your specific problems. This will not only improve your sexual inadequacies but also build up your self esteem. I would also suggest that you try relaxation exercises like XXXXXXX breathing, yoga, meditation, etc., exercise regularly and eat a healthy and balanced diet.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist

Follow-up: Have small penis and noticed semen in urine. Should I be worried? 2 days later
I am concerned that every time I go to the toilet my penis seems to increase and decrease during the process

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 16 hours later
Hello again,

A mild increase and decrease in size of the penis when going to the toilet is normal. This is because when passing urine, there will be contraction of the muscles around the urinary passage and this can cause a slight increase and decrease in size. So, don't worry about this.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist