Have small, painful, red mass on belly button. Noticed white substance oozing from it. Treatment?

I have a small, red mass in my belly button that seems to be oozing creamy white / red substances. It is incredibly painful. When I tried cleaning it out with gauze a small neatly clumped chunk of hair came out..
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 2 hours later
Hello dear,
Thanks for the query and photograph.
It looks like a pilonidal sinus.
It is a condition seen due to in growth of hairs.

You need to take some oral antibiotics and pain killers also apply oint mupirocine twice daily.
Do this for seven days so that infection gets controlled.
Later you must XXXXXXX a dermatologist or surgeon to get it removed, as surgery is the only permanent cure.
Dont worry it is not a serious condition and can be removed easily with a small surgery.

Thank you