Have small painful knots on top of skull. What is causing this?

I have two small knots on the top on my scull that are sore and painful. I haven't hit my head on anything. What could cause this?
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 2 hours later
Thanks for asking in Healthcare Magic.

Inflamed, painful lumps, nodules or knots not accompanied by head ache could be due to infected Sebaceous cysts or Folliculitis. The other possible reasons are contact dermatitis or fungal infection.

Cystic swelling appear as lumps under the skin surface. They are painless until they get infected and inflamed and so you may not have noticed them earlier. When they get inflamed, the area around them is usually sore and painful.

Bacterial infection and inflammation of hair follicles results in Folliculitis. These appear as lumps and when infected and turns in to pustules causing reddening and pain of the skin around them.

Although red itchy bumps could be due to contact dermatitis, they often appear as clumps and not as solitary or single lump. The possibility of fungal infection is minimal for you as there would have been excessive itching and hair loss around that area.

You should consult a Dermatologist for confirmation of diagnosis as physical examination is necessary to find out the cause. Treatment may depend upon the cause. In case of cysts, Steroid injection in to the cyst or excision (removal) will be necessary. For Folliculitis, Antibiotics and Anti inflammatory drugs are needed to suppress the infection and inflammation.

I hope this helps. Please contact me if you have any further queries. I will be happy to assist you.