Have small painful bump on opening of anus, white in colour. No blood or discharge. What could it be?

Hello doctor,

I have a small, (pea-sized?) painful bump on the opening of the anus--pain even felt while sitting. It is seemingly white in color, though it could be due to the darker skin tones around it. It is a recent development within the last week. I am not sexually active, nor have I ever been. It is pliable to the touch with some solidity to it and tenderness. I haven't noticed any blood or odd color liquids when wiping, and if there was any discoloration in the stool, it wasn't noticeable.

Thank you for your assistance.
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Small, painful lump highly suggests bacterial infection. It can occur due to ingrown hairs.

Prolonged sitting in one place, frequent traveling, wearing tight clothes can cause friction of skin with hair leading to such type of infections. At times such infections can form cysts or abscess which may require surgical treatment. Uploading a photograph will help me to know exact condition and will guide you in much better way.

But still you can try following measures which will give you relief.

Start using loose cotton undergarments.Avoid sitting in one place.

Application of hot fomentation or sitz bath can help in resolution of pus and natural drainage.

Start applying antibiotic cream like fucidic acid two to three times daily.It is available on counters.

I hope this can solve your query.In case you have any concerns I will be happy to help you.Take care.
Follow-up: Have small painful bump on opening of anus, white in colour. No blood or discharge. What could it be? 23 hours later
Hello again, Doctor and thank you for the reply.

I do indeed have a lot of hair in the lower regions. I also wear lose fitting boxer shorts as under garments. Part of my work requires me to sit for long hours while the other portion has me on my feet for most of the day and traveling a fair bit as well. I tend to try and shift myself about while sitting for prolonged periods of time as well as get up periodically.

I've uploaded two photos as reports for you to look at. The small white lump which I believe is causing me the pain is right next to what I've assumed is a hemorrhoid I've had for a while that hasn't given me any problems.
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 8 hours later

Thanks for follow up and sending photograph.

The lump is due to ingrown hairs.

At times such lumps can form a sinus tracts inside the skin known as a pilonidal sinus.It is one of the common condition affecting those who have a prolonged sitting work and/or frequent traveling.

I will suggest you to go try with antibiotic cream and sitz bath for a week or so.In case lump do not resolve then it will be better to consult a doctor.Please let me know about your condition.

I hope this can solve your query.In case you still have any concerns feel free to ask.Take care.