Have small movable lump above Adams apple. Could it be swollen lymph node or tumor?

ENT Specialist
I have small pea sized lump above my XXXXXXX XXXXXXX I can move it from side to side and it is ot painful. I have no other symptoms. After I noticed it I came down with slight cold (my sife was sick last week) but am starting to feel better. Just congestion. Maybe it it is my hyoid bone or swollen lymph node? I am nervous it is a tumor. I am 36 non smoker
Posted Sun, 21 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 38 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. This pea sized lump above the Adam's XXXXXXX will most likely be an enlarged lymph node.

2. There are about 300 lymph nodes normally present in the head and neck region. They are normally not palpable. After enlarging during inflammation or infection they rarely regress to their normal size and then can be felt (palpated) but remain no-tender(painless).

3. If you are apprehensive about the lump, see a physical who can palpate the lump (it is a good sign if it is mobile). Get a videolaryngoscopy done. Get an X-ray Neck, Neck USG and an FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology) of this lump (which is not easy as it is very small) . It is impossible to diagnose this on history alone because there is a large number of causes for such a lump (and I am not going into details here). If all these tests are normal, there is no cause for worry.

4. You need not worry if it is not growing. Sub-centimeter lymph nodes are considered reactive and not cancerous. Though overwhelming, most of these conditions listed above are benign and can be ignored if they are asymptomatic. You may wait for a few days before any kind of investigation.

I must emphasize that the chance of a cancerous growth at your age is rare. Cancer will be progressive and will not respond to medication. Your throat has got better. It is good to hear that you do not smoke. These symptoms are usually investigated so as not to miss any rare cause. Kindly let me know the results of your investigations, with images and video of the videolaryngoscopy, if possible. This will help decide medication and further treatment.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.