Have small lump on the inside of butt cheek and it bleeds bright red blood. What could be this?

General Surgeon
i have a small lump on the inside my buttcheek. it bleeds bright red blood. it does not always bleed but sometimes it does bleed a good bit. this lump does not hurt me ever, but does itch sometimes. no blood comes from my poo though, just the lump. its just there and it scares me. can you tell me what this could be?
Posted Fri, 30 Nov 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

The most common lump in such location is pylonidal cyst. It is a benign lump caused by hair ingrowth. It can get painful, however sometimes only bleeding or itching can appear. Pylonidal cyst is mostly located at the top of the butt cheek.
If this lump is located on the verge of the anus this is most likely hemorrhoid. Such hemorrhoid can appear and disappear, bleed especially after stool passing. Can be associated with constipation, lot of sitting, lack of physical activity.
Other benign lumps like angiomas are also possible but such tumors very rarely appear in the close neighborhood of the anus.
So in conclusion, most likely this is benign hemorrhoid (if this comes from the anal hole or from the verge of it), or pylonidal cyst (if located below anal hole).
Both lumps needs to be removed surgically. Moreover if non of description matches your lump, it should be removed by a surgeon and send to hystopathology. It will tell what exactly it is and will solve your problem.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.