Have small lump near belly button. Could it be lipoma or cysts?

Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
I have a small, firm lump about the size of a bean in my middle-left abdomen about two or three inches from my belly button. It's not painful, although if I poke at it enough it becomes tender. I'm hoping it's lipoma or some other form of cysts, but I've read they are usually squishy and movable whereas this is pretty firm and seems to be fairly anchored, although it's hard to tell because it is so XXXXXXX underneath the skin and fat on my belly that it's hard to really get at it. I just noticed it today and have set up a doctor's appointment to get it checked out, but I'm wondering in the meantime if it's something I should be concerned about. I am 30 years old, 5'10", 185 pounds, and have no medical history to speak of aside from a tonsillectomy and treatment for an ulcer.
Posted Sat, 24 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

You have done the right thing by fixing an appointment with your doctor and without a physical examination it is difficult to conclude. However, the description provided by you suggests a lipoma, if it has been there for some time. It need not be movable. Let the doctor feel it after which he may recommend appropriate investigations if the lump is XXXXXXX seated.

I suggest that let us wait for the doctor's examination and not get unduly concerned about it if it has been there some time and not affecting your daily activities.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to share any other facts of this case for review.

Wishing you all the best.

RKK

Follow-up: Have small lump near belly button. Could it be lipoma or cysts? 16 minutes later
Can I ask why you think a lipoma is more likely than something more serious?

Thank you for your answer.

Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for the query.

The reasons why I consider it to be a lipoma are based on your following observations:
1. It is fairly anchored
2. It is firm
3. It is not painful
4. It is superficial and easily felt

I can appreciate your anxiety and I reiterate that a physical examination will tell us the exact status.

I hope I have allayed your doubts. Do revert back in case you need more clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you all the best.

RKK