Have small hard round lump in eyelid. Tender to touch. No redness or swelling. What to do?

Question
I have a small hard round lump in my eyelid. It is only tender when I rub it. There is no redness or excessive swelling. What should I be doing?
Posted Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 1 hour later
Hello

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. I would like to know the duration of the lump and also whether it is increasing in size or not and the present size.

Your explanation directs towards an entity known as chalazion which is a lump of the lid that is caused by obstruction of the drainage duct of an oil gland within the upper or lower eyelid. This lump may increase in size over days to weeks and may occasionally become red, warm, or painful.

Conservative measures include Warm compresses may be helpful. Hold a warm, wet towel on the eyelid for five to 10 minutes, four times a day, to reduce swelling and promote drainage of the gland. Although the towel and the water should be clean, they need not be sterile. Lightly massage the area several times a day. Do not pop or scratch the chalazion.

Apart from this antibiotic eye drops in case of infection, local steroid injection can be tried. If it fails may need to be surgically removed.

I advice you to follow the conservative approach first for 2 to 3 days, it it does not subside i advice you to consult ophthalmologist for further treatment.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer

Follow-up: Have small hard round lump in eyelid. Tender to touch. No redness or swelling. What to do? 21 minutes later
The size of the lump is smaller than a pea and does not appear to be changing. It has been there for 3 or 4 days.

Hello
Good to hear from you.

I advice you to follow the conservative approach as mentioned above and if it persists consult ophthalmologist for examination.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.