Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Have small flesh colored hard bump near vagina. What is this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 689 Questions
Hi. I have a small flesh colored bump near the 'slit' of my vagina, it does not hurt or weep, and is quite hard to touch. I have had the same partner for five months now, and he has no sexual health issues. I was wondering what you think this lump is?
Posted Sun, 9 Dec 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 1 hour later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

Your description of the lump point towards the possibility of genital warts.

Genital warts are small, gritty feel lumps which occur mostly near the vaginal opening but can occur elsewhere in the genital tract. They are usually painless, skin(flesh) colored and at times you can have irritation and itching over them.
These warts are caused by Human Papilloma Virus infection.

You need to consult a gynecologist for a local examination to confirm and treat the condition. Their treatment involves removal or use of certain drugs which need prescription.

Use of barrier contraception is advisable to avoid spread of infection to the partner.

Also get a Pap test done which is a must once you are sexually active and more in your case to rule out HPV related changes in the cervix and abnormal cells.

I hope I have answered your query.

Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have small flesh colored hard bump near vagina. What is this? 17 minutes later
The lump does not feel gritty. And on closer inspection almost looks like a spot that hasnt come to a head yet. Is this common to? I will visit my doctor tomorrow for a proper look. I would just like to know any further options.
Also, if it is warts, are these like herpes?

Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 9 hours later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, HPV genital warts appear as flesh colored spots that may be raised or flat.

The other possibilities can be a skin tag as you say it is not raised.

It can also be a wart due to Molluscum contagiosum virus which can present just as flesh colored painless bumps on the skin. These begin as small, firm, dome shaped growths that feels smooth. Eventually a dimple appears in the center which may be filled with a thick white substance that is cheesy or waxy.

I do not think it to be due to herpes as there painful blisters occur.

Warts are not like herpes. Though both are caused by viral infection, the treatment differs entirely.

You should avoid scratching or manipulation in the area as it may cause spread of infection especially if its a molluscum contagiosum wart.
These warts are common as they spread by direct skin to skin contact, contaminated towels and bedding and also through sexual contact.

Genital warts due to HPV are mainly sexually transmitted.

Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor