Have small fissures on inner lining of cheek in buccal mucosa. What to do?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Hello, I have two small fissures on left inner lining of cheek..its not red,no pain,and no ulceration. Its like two small inner folds in buccal mucosa,but there is no pain only a rough or slightly rough like feeling when I feel it with my tongue...the right side feels very smooth,while left inner cheek where the folds are feels bit rough..please advise,thank you
Posted Fri, 13 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: Examination of the buccal mucosa is required Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX Fissures, ulcerations or rough skin in buccal mucosa are most commonly due to some material irritation in the oral cavity. The most common cause are ill-fitting dentures/ prosthesis and/or loose tooth. Consult a dentist for clinical examination of the oral cavity for any loose or carious tooth. In case you are wearing prosthesis of any kind, that too needs to be examined. Long standing irritation of the oral mucosa can lead to malignancy so it needs to examined and biopsy may be required. If you have more queries, i will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal
Follow-up: Have small fissures on inner lining of cheek in buccal mucosa. What to do? 1 hour later
I have already seen a doctor and he was not able to find anything...I dont wear dentures nor do I smoke..its just that a small part of left mucosa is a slightly rough or maybe not as smooth as the rest...should I be worried about this? There is no redness or ulcer though..just the skin is a bot folded and bit rough..please suggest..I have already seen two doctors and no one could find out anything
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 21 hours later
Brief Answer: There is nothing to worry. Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome again, Since, there is no history of dentures, loose teeth or smoking; the risk of developing malignancy is ruled out. On clinical examination, no lesion could be identified so there is no need for further investigation. However, observe the rough skin and watch out for development of any ulcer or proliferative lesion. Consult your dentist if there is progression of the lesion or development of any other symptom like bleeding or pain. Thanks and take care Dr Shailja P Wahal
Thank you for your reply. Just one last thing,is it possible that the rough skin might remain in the mouth forever. Just want to know if that is normal? Because its not irritating me much,neither do i feel sensetive there,its just a bit rough to touch.... I was wondering if the rough feeling is there in the mouth forever,is there any chance of further development later. Is it normal having such a skin in mouth mucosa. Thank you for replying.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 23 hours later
Brief Answer: Observe the lesion / rough skin. Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome again, No it is not normal to have rough area in the oral mucosa. Since, it is not associated with pain, irritation or any other symptoms, there is nothing to worry. Observe the lesion for some time. Report to your doctor if you feel any pain, irritation, bleeding or ulceration. Thanks and do not worry. Dr Shailja P Wahal