Have small cysts in the groin area. Cause and treatment?

I have a number of small cysts in the groin area. I am 67 years old and have had these for a quite a period of time. a most recent one is uncomfortable. Cause and treatment?
Posted Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I think the cysts you are feeling must be enlarged lymphnodes. A significantly enlarged lymphnode can be uncomfortable. This could be enlarged with an infection, cancer and several other causes. Thus the treatment would depend on the cause identified.
I would like to know few things about these swellings so that i can identify a cause:
1. What is consistency of lesion: rubbery, hard or very soft?
2.Do you any infection in lower limb or elsewhere in body.
3.Is there similar lesions in your arm pit or neck.
4. Do the cysts or swelling increases after cough?
5. Do you have any family history of cancer?

It will be possible to come to particular pathology after reviewing above questions. Then we can decide appropriate investigation like ultrasonography and the specific management.

Hope that helps

Follow-up: Have small cysts in the groin area. Cause and treatment? 1 hour later
I looked up some terminology of female anatomy and I would say that the lesion is on the labia majora.I( left side)
You asked about its texture - it is firm but not hard and is about the size of an eraser on the end of a pencil. It is red in colour. The ones on the other side are somewhat smaller and are light pink or whitish in colour.
I have no other lesions in any other body part.
The only cancer in my family is breast cancer - both my mother and grandmother had it

This information may change your answer as I think I may have misled you somewhat with my first question. My apologies
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 9 hours later
Hi, welcome back and thanks for response.

If the lesion is on labia majora, it looks like a Bartholin cyst. You need to consult board certified gynecologist for proper clinical examination. Usually a course of antibiotics would suffice. In some cases, incision of cysts may be needed. However, any kind of management can be decided only after examination.

I would like to suggest please get your screening mammogram done as you have strong family history. It is just a precautionary measure against breast cancer.

Hope I have addressed your query.

Follow-up: Have small cysts in the groin area. Cause and treatment? 8 hours later
Thanks Dr Sanap.

I am going to see my family doctor today and will ask for a gynecologist referral.

I do have mammograms regularly and have been doing so for 20+ years as I realize that there is a strong possibility that I may get breast cancer at some point in my life. Both my mother and grandmother were first diagnosed when they were in their 80's
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 1 hour later
Thanks for writing back.
Its good that you're taking proper preventive measures. A healthy weight, avoiding alcohol, regular exercise can also help in this regard.
Hope that helps