Ask a Dentist   »  

Have small clusters with small bumps on lower gum line. What could these be?

I have two small clusters with small bumps on two spots of my front lower gum line. What could these be? I brush once daily in the morning. I probably have early stages of gingivitis as I have mis alligned teeth in the region where this is taking place. I was diagnosed with genital warts (HPV) and I worry that these are related. They are small bump clusters. They don't seem to be painful, but when I brushed them recently and have been flossing I do feel irritation.
Posted Sun, 11 Nov 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 4 hours later

Thanks for writing to us,

I would like you to know that small clusters or gum enlargement may not due to genital warts. In fact oral medication, poor oral hygiene, malaligned teeth, etc., are more commonly related to small bumps on front gum line. Therefore, we cannot link these to genital herpes.

I advise you to visit an oral pathologist, get a thorough dental check-up done in order to narrow down the possibility.

In the interim, kindly follow proper oral hygiene measures that include:
1. Full mouth scaling done by your dentist,
2. Brush your teeth twice/day,
3. Warm saline rinses (3-4 times/day),
4. Use an antibacterial mouth wash (twice/day),

Also, your dentist might prescribe a topical gel to be massaged on the concerned area.

I hope this little piece of information will help you; if you have any further questions for me, kindly post them.

I wish you good health,