Have small bumps on the back wall of throat. Could it be the reason for tonsils?

Excellent
Question
What could be the cause of one tonsil larger than other?Been like this for a year(or atleast thats when i noticed it)also have small bumps on the back wall of my throat
Posted Mon, 5 Aug 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 28 minutes later
Dear patient,

It is an issue that deserves attention; by rule, unilateral ear nose and throat problems in adults can be more worrysome for serious conditions as compared to children, when they are commonly caused either by benign infections or foreign bodies; chornic infection, malignancy (including lymphomas), can present as unilateral tonsil enlargement; it may also be a normal variant but it deserves examination, hopefully by an ENT specialist.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN

Follow-up: Have small bumps on the back wall of throat. Could it be the reason for tonsils? 1 hour later
i went to my family Dr. and he said the bumps in the rhroat are normal and gave me some antibiotics and said if it doest hurt to just let it be or get the tonsils remove but it doesnt hurt nor bother me.

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 4 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX

I agree that if there may be evidence of infection, antibiotics can be warranted. Another cause of enlarged tonsils are indeed repeated tonsil infections; but if the issue persists I would consider a second opinion from an ENT specialist; these days we rarely remove tonsils if we don't have to.

Best regards

Follow-up: Have small bumps on the back wall of throat. Could it be the reason for tonsils? 5 minutes later
ok the.tonsil has remained enlarged.for a year and.hasnt hurt ,ive also had many canker sores in the last year,My main concern is cancer

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
I agree with you XXXXXXX that would be certainly a concern and that is why a visit to an ENT specialist may not be unreasonable, since in doubtful cases a small fine needele biopsy can be obtained to settle things down.

Best regards

Follow-up: Have small bumps on the back wall of throat. Could it be the reason for tonsils? 1 minute later
thank you Dr.

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 minute later
Most welcome XXXXXXX best wishes