Have small blotch at the base of penis. Scrotum and groins feels itchy. Had unprotected sex. Is this STD?

Question
I have a small blotch at the base of my penis that has changed color (shiny/scaly) and is slightly itchy, also my scrotum and groins are itchy. I had unprotected sex 3 weeks ago but I have also been travelling and staying in cheap hostels so I was wondering if it was an STD or some sort of fungi please wb asap
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible fungal infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I a so sorry to hear about this scaly blotch and the itch at the base of your penis and the groins. This description seems typical of the manifestation of a fungal infection. this is also called jock itch.

Treatment consist in applying a topical antifungal cream. Miconazole/clotrimazole or phythoral creams would be able to resolve the problem over a 7-10days course. associated to this, you should step up your personal hygiene to ake sure you prevent re-infestation.

Please, unprotected sex exposes to STDs. This manifestation is not typical of an STD just yet but know you have taken the risk and you were exposed. please, take good care of yourself before you pick up one of these STDs that for sure wouldn't be good news to you. Take good care of yourself before it gets to late.

I hope this addresses your query fully and you find this information helpful. Tank you for using our services and please, do feel free to ask for clarifications if need be. I wish you well and reminding you to correctly and consistently use the condom each time you have sex to prevent yourself against STDs and HIV.

Dr. Ditah, MD