Have small bleeding spot in duodenum and occult blood in the motions. Any suggestion?

Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 14 minutes later
Dear friend, welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here at Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

Since you had a duodenal ulcer for the past 2 years and are still having a bleeding area in the duodenum, it has not healed well.

If you meant that you had it and then better for 2 years, it says that you have a rebleed. Hence there is presence of occult blood in the motions.
Are you already taking any medicines for the ulcer ?

Can you upload your reports here using the uploading service available on this site just below the text box? You can email the reports / scans to
with subject- (Attn: Dr. Prasad Akole)

You need to be treated with endoscopic therapy and then proton pump inhibitors (tablets) by a gastroenterologist.

Avoid any spicy, junky food and alcohol. avoid OTC pain killers of the NSAID class.
Please write more details to enable me to guide you better.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Please ask for any clarifications before closing and rating this answer.
Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck! Thank you!!
Follow-up: Have small bleeding spot in duodenum and occult blood in the motions. Any suggestion? 33 minutes later
I will take Pantaprazole previously, Now again my stools are black in colour
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 27 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Treatment with Pantoprazole for longer duration is needed for the ulcer to heal. Sometimes the ulcer may be severe enough needing a endoscopic repair. That is when the pantoprazole fails to prevent bleeding from the ulcers.

Do consult a gastroentrologist, who can plan on endoscopic repair.

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health.