Have small bleeding lump close to anus. What is causing this and required treatment?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Male, 24 yo and I have a small pea size lump 1inch away from my butt hole and its centred on my butt crack.
I had this for 3 years. There are times that It will bleed when I dump. It only bleeds when it is big. But there will be times as well that it will turned small and wont bleed at all. Its not really a discomfort for me, its just that Its been a while and it still wont heal completely.
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Considering the details you have provided it seems that you are most probably suffering from an external hemorrhoid ( bleeding pile).
The lump or hemorrhoid is actually a dilated engorged vein in your anal canal beneath the skin which occurs as a result of constipation or increased pressure in the anal veins ( prolonged sitting , cough etc can cause). It can remain so for years or worsen to cause more frequent pain or bleeding .
If it doesn't diss appear completely especially in long standing cases it might require a minor surgical procedure called hemmorrhoidectomy.
Otherwise it's treated by treating the cause ie constipation , and local application of ointments ( anovate etc).Its not a serious condition but a rather annoying one which can rarely cause complications . So do consult your doctor for appropriate management .
Hope that answers your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries
Follow-up: Have small bleeding lump close to anus. What is causing this and required treatment? 37 minutes later

Thanks for the quick response. I was worried that this might be a sinus thing which is more drastic. Thank God its not.

Can you suggest any ointments that is easily available in US.

I had no infections with this cause i'm more conscious in keeping it clean.
It normally bleeds every time I had a hard dump and after and hour or two its starts to heal and wont bother me again until a hard dump occurs again.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 5 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
There are lots of ointments available ,most of them contain the active ingredient of phenylephrine. Phenylephrine acts by respecting blood flow and thereby reducing the size of the hemorrhoids.The examples of this are Anusol , HemRid and Preperation H .
Other anti-hemorrhoidal cream may contain different active ingredients such as aloe Vera, shark liver oil, hydrocortisone and pramoxine. Its best to get it prescribed by your doctor or you may resort to trial and error in hopes of finding the fastest and the most effective anti-hemorrhoidal cream for you. Also please remember that ointments may provide only temporary relief so its best to treat the hard bowel movements or constipation by laxatives , diet and exercise to eradicate the problem.
Hope that answers your query.
Kindly accept my answer in case you have no further queries.